HCG is accepting proposals from artists in Western Massachusetts for the temporary placement of a public art banner on the Old Courthouse site, 99 Main Street, Northampton, during the months of April, 2019, through July/August, 2019. The artwork will hang on high visibility scaffolding surrounding the Main Street entrance to the Courthouse.
The project is contingent upon HCG receiving sponsorship equal to the cost of the project. HCG will cover the costs of printing and installing the banner. HCG is seeking a digital file of printable art of sufficient size and resolution to cover 50h x 40w feet (max).
- A digital file of the artwork (.jpg or .eps) to be printed along with a written description of proposed artwork including aspect ratio and ideal final print dimensions.
- Written assurance that a digital file of the artwork exists that will allow for a suitable resolution for a 50’ x 40’ print on mesh material.
- If the work of art already exists, up to 2 photographs of the artwork.
- Artist’s resume showing home and/or studio address (must be a Western Mass-based artist).
- After award, HCG will request the high resolution digital file to send to the banner printer. HCG will procure the banner. The size of the banner will not exceed 50’ x 40’ (h x w).
- The banner will be of a mesh material to allow for the passage of air through the fabric to avoid billowing and creating hazardous situations.
- Due to the public nature of the exhibition space, there are four content areas which could require additional review for acceptability: nudity, extreme religious, political, or violent subject matter. HCG reserves the right to make a determination regarding acceptability.
HCG will solicit area businesses to sponsor the art display to compensate HCG for the costs of printing and installation. Additional funds will be used to support the Historic Courthouse restoration fund.
A selection committee comprised of HCG staff, councilors, and members of the arts community will review the submittals and recommend a piece to HCG’s Board of Councilors for final awarding. HCG reserves the right to reject any and all proposals. Consultations may be scheduled with finalists at the sole discretion of HCG.
Selected artist may also participate in Arts Night Out and hang additional art in the Old Courthouse Art Gallery. An artist meet and greet event may also be included. The selected artist may be asked to participate in media events as well.
If HCG’s fundraising goals are met, a cash prize will be awarded to the selected artist.
All proposals shall be submitted to HCG, Administrative Office, 99 Main Street, Northampton, MA, 01060, or emailed to Lydia King, email@example.com, no later than 1:00 PM on April 5, 2019.